Do you get in a side dish rut for dinner? Same here. My creative juices do not flow when it comes to preparing a side. I get tired of fixing the same vegetables in the same way week after week (roasting in an oven for me). This spicy broccoli with lemon and garlic has definitely taken my vegetable game up a notch.
Spicy Broccoli with garlic and lemon is not boring
I don’t know about you, but I kind of detest steamed vegetables. They are bland and boring. This spicy broccoli with lemon and garlic will have your taste buds on fire. Between the little bit of char on the broccoli from sautéing in the olive oil, to the fresh garlic, spicy bits of crushed red pepper and the fresh squeeze of lemon at the end will brighten up any meal.
I will make this as a meal prep item and keep in my frig. It is a one pan kind of side dish (the best kind, IMO). Then I can have a veggie with every meal if I want.
what can i serve with this spicy broccoli?
This broccoli goes well with eggs in the morning (yes, I eat broccoli for breakfast), tossed in a salad at lunch with some rotisserie chicken and beside a beautiful piece of salmon or steak at dinner. The options are endless!
what if you don’t like spicy?
Then we can’t be friends. Sorry. Okay, but really, if you don’t like spicy then you can absolutely leave out the crushed red pepper flakes. The broccoli is so good with just garlic and lemon. Lemon is my secret ingredient for most anything that needs some livening up, especially vegetables. A fresh squeeze on some roasted veggies is usually the missing ingredient you didn’t know you need. Please come to me for any other life lessons as I am an expert. Now make this broccoli and enjoy. Okaythanksbye.
If you would like another veggie side dish with some spice, try my Cumin Roasted Carrot Fries.
Spicy Broccoli with Lemon & Garlic
- saute pan with lid
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups broccoli florets, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced 2 large cloves or 3 medium
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- sueeze of fresh lemon juice from 1/4 lemon
- Heat saute pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil. Once hot, add broccoli and crushed red pepper flakes to pan, shaking to coat in oil.
- Cook broccoli 3-4 minutes, until slightly brown, stirring often. In the last minute add garlic and cook until fragrant. Adding it later will keep the garlic from burning and becoming bitter.
- Add chicken broth to pan, cover with lid and let broccoli steam for 2-3 minutes, until crisp tender or to your liking.
- Remove lid, add salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon and serve.