Alright, you caught me. These Smoky Roasted Carrot Fries are not really fries. However, they are damn tasty with caramelized edges, smokiness from the cumin, natural sweetness from the carrots and a little crunch from the pepitas….that’s the fancy name for pumpkin seeds.
Here at Laura’s LiveWell, we try to be as fancy as possible. Wearing sweats, eating carrot fries with pepitas, drinking a glass of Prosecco is basically living my best life.
Carrot Fries are an easy side dish
These honestly couldn’t be an easier side dish! I turned on the oven to preheat to 425 while I peeled, cut and tossed the carrots in the oil and spices. I think I even had to wait for the oven to get up to temperature, that’s how quick the prep is.
Then I popped the sheet pan in the oven, tossed them after 15 minutes, and let them go another 10 until the edges were caramelized and lovely.
Once they are out of the oven, toss the pumpkin seeds and cilantro or parsley on top and you are ready to serve.
customize the fries the way you want
There are a couple different ways I would love to switch these up-
- switch out the pepitas for toasted walnuts or any other nut or seed
- top with a bit of crumbled goat cheese, feta or cojita cheese, if dairy is your friend
- Picky kids? Ranch dressing makes everything better. Serve as a dip along side the fries. And eating these with your hands is encouraged.
what would you serve with them?
These Smoky Roast Carrot Fries would be so good with any Mexican dish, like tacos or enchiladas. Sometimes we get a little tired of rice and beans in our house so this is a great switch to keep things fresh. You could even whip up a batch of Sweet and Spicy Guacamole to really impress your family. But if you have teenagers like me, nothing impresses them.
I have also served these along side grilled salmon or a juicy steak. Just add a quick salad and you have dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
SMOKY ROASTED CARROT FRIES
- 1 pound carrots peeled cut into 3” long sticks or “fries”
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp toasted pepitas pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro or parsley
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In a medium bowl, toss carrots with olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper. Spread carrots on sheet pan in a single layer with a little space in between the carrots so they can really caramelize and get some crispy edges. Roast for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and top with pumpkin seeds and cilantro or parsley.