Is it weird to crave sweet potatoes? Asking for a friend. Once you make these easy roasted sweet potatoes you, will be craving them as well. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
The great thing about sweet potatoes, other than being a really healthy, whole food source of carbs (yep, carbs aren’t bad), is that they are just so pretty on your plate. We eat with our eyes first. A bright, colorful plate is way more appealing than a 50 shades of beige plate. Color also equals health and vitality. There is nothing wrong with white potatoes compared to sweet, as they each have their nutritional advantages. But when you are eating with your eyes first, which would you want? Not to mention the orange color comes from high amounts of beta carotene and helps those peepers out.
you can customize these easy roasted sweet potatoes
Another great thing with sweet potatoes is that you can customize the flavoring to suit your needs. I love the slightly smoky and sweet flavoring that comes from this recipe with the chili powder and cinnamon. You can easily switch out seasonings to make them yours. Simple salt, pepper and olive oil is delicious as well. These days, I rarely measure anything. Have fun and play around to see what you love.
Another favorite seasoning is to use Everything but the Bagel seasoning, made famous by Trader Joe’s and found in most grocery stores.
How can you serve these sweet potatoes?
The options are endless, honestly. Here are some of my favorites:
- Tossed in scrambled eggs in the morning with some spinach or as the base for a bowl under a couple over easy eggs. A little splash of hot sauce never hurt anyone.
- As the base for tacos, in place of the meat. Add some black beans, peppers, onions and all the taco toppings.
- As a side dish for any protein.
- As a salad topping, which is my personal favorite. I love a good salad with all the fixings and dressed with my 4 ingredient balsamic vinaigrette (coming to the blog soon!).
Easy Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes about 2 lbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder or granules
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes. Pile potatoes onto the center of a sheet pan.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle remaining ingredients over them. Use your hands to toss and coat the sweet potatoes with the oil and spices until evenly coated.
- Spread the potato cubes out until evenly spaced on the pan and not crowded. You want the edges to get a bit crispy and they won't if they are piled up on each other.
- Place in oven and cook for 25 minutes, flipping and stirring potatoes halfway through.
- Test doneness with a fork. It should easily slide through the potato. If done, remove from oven, taste and add salt if needed.