Gimme all the smokiness and spicy, sweet, chewy, crunchy goodness that comes in the form of this Chipotle Cherry Chicken Salad. Maybe that didn’t make a whole lotta sense but I don’t care. What I do care about is that I can make this on Sunday and eat it for lunch the next few days. I feel in control and ready to tackle the week when I can get in a routine with meal prepping
customize how you want
I can also feed my family of all males with this Chipotle Cherry Chicken Salad for dinner one night. They all give it a thumbs up, btw. It makes my life easy because everyone eats it how they want….on a bun, in a tortilla or as a lettuce wrap. Everyone wins. And barely anyone whines. If anyone does whine about the level of heat, just take it down a notch or use plain chili powder.
use easy and clean ingredients
If you feel like being a show-off, go ahead and cook your own chicken breasts or thighs. It’s super easy to do on the grill or oven. Or you can do what I usually do- buy a rotisserie chicken at the store. Some stores now even have the chicken pulled off the bone and packaged up ready to eat. I have seen this at Sprouts and Costco. I always grab a container each week and then I use that chicken on salads or sandwiches. It is a super easy protein component that’s all ready to go.
A note on the mayonnaise that I urge you to use…..find one that is made with avocado or olive oil. No soy or canola or funky vegetable oils. They can act as an inflammatory agent in your beautiful body and we don’t want that. I find a large jar (they are sometimes labeled “paleo”) at Costco for a fraction of the cost of a normal grocery store.
If you need help finding a new mayo or any other food swaps at the grocery store, let me know! I would love to help.
CHIPOTLE CHERRY CHICKEN SALAD
- 3 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup diced celery about 2 stalks
- 2 greens onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Butter or romaine lettuce leaves
- Buns or wraps optional
- CHIPOTLE MAYO
- ½ cup good quality mayo
- 1-2 tsp chipotle powder depending on how smoky/spicy you like
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp lime juice from ½ lime
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, celery, green onion, cherries, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the chipotle mayo. Add the mayo mixture to the chicken and mix until combined well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve chicken salad in lettuce cups or buns or wraps as your heart desires.