It is officially grilling season! My favorite time of year for cooking fresh and healthy meals without heating up the oven and your kitchen. You can kick off grill season with this bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, an easy 5-ingredient recipe that will surely impress your family or guests.
I have to confess……this recipe for bacon wrapped pork tenderloin is not my own. I stole it, with permission, from my lifelong best friend, Morgan. We met when we were 5 on the alphabet circle in kindergarten. Fast forward 35ish years when we vacationed off the coast of Puerto Rico on a sweet little island called Vieques with the most stunning and quiet beaches. Every night, Morgan would cook us the most amazing meals, including this pork tenderloin. I immediately wrote down the recipe and have made it many times since that trip. I may have changed the name to “pork baby” or “pork on pork” when I make it at home. When it’s all wrapped up, it looks like a little pork baby all nestled in and ready for the grill.
prepping the pork for the grill
There’s a few simple steps to get the pork tenderloin ready to go on the grill.
- Place a cutting board on your counter- I use a plastic, dishwasher safe board or a wood cutting board with parchment or wax paper to keep the raw juices from the wood board.
- Place the bacon strips parallel and on a diagonal on the cutting board.
- Position the pork tenderloin down the center of the bacon and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the mustard, brown sugar and parsley
- Wrap the pork tenderloin with the bacon strips, securing the ends with toothpicks.
Once the tenderloin is done on the grill, let it rest and this is very important…..remove all toothpicks! Nothing ruins a dinner party faster than someone ingesting a wooden stick. Just sayin’.
what should i serve with bacon wrapped pork tenderloin?
I always keep it simple and serve it with a salad or other veggie side dish like this broccoli or sweet potatoes. You could also throw some sliced veggies (zucchini, onion, eggplant, etc) on the grill with the pork tenderloin to keep all the heat out of the kitchen.
This recipe is so easy to double or triple. I have fed a group of 15 with this recipe and it was no more work than making one tenderloin.
So go get your grill on and make this! Let me know what you think when you do!
Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- 1 pork tenderloin about 1 pound
- 4 pieces bacon
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 tbsp italian flat leaf parley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill until it reaches around 375-400 degrees.
- On a platter or cutting board, lay out 4 pieces of bacon parallel to each other and on an angle. Place the pork tenderloin down the center of the bacon. Salt and pepper the tenderloin.
- Spread the dijon mustard down the length of the tenderloin, slightly down the sides. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the mustard, pressing it in lightly with your fingers. Sprinkle the chopped flat leaf parsley on top of the brown sugar.
- Take each end of the bacon and wrap the tenderloin, one by one. Secure the ends with toothpicks.
- Place the bacon wrapped tenderloin over the direct heat of the grill. Rotate the tenderloin every 3 minutes until the bacon is slightly crisp then either turn down the heat or move it to the indirect heat of the grill. Continue to grill until internal temp reaches 140-145 degrees. This should take 20-25 minutes depending on the thickness of your pork. Watch it closely so that the bacon does not burn too much.
- Remove from grill and let it rest, covered with foil, for about 5-10 minutes so the juices redistribute. Remove toothpicks and slice and serve.